The Outer Banks is filled with activities that will get any thrill seeker’s heart rate up. During your stay at Sea Ranch Resort, you can trade in the sandy beaches for a day on the sandy dunes. Make the most of your North Carolina vacation by exploring everything the Outer Banks has to offer, from bike trails to golf courses and horseback riding. When you’re ready to switch things up for something a little different and a little more extreme, visit sand dunes in Kill Devil Hills and in nearby Nags Head.
A Sand Dunes Activity Checklist
Whether you visit Jockey’s Ridge State Park, which boasts the tallest natural sand dunes on the East Coast, or Run Hill State Natural Area, there is no shortage of dune activities to partake in. A sand dune is formed when sand is blown into a sheltered area by wind. These sandy mounds are perfect for various activities, from something simple like hiking to more extreme like windsurfing.
- Hiking: Explore the trails around Jockey’s Ridge, like Tracks in the Sand trail. Filled with valleys and ridges from the dune system, Run Hill is another popular, smaller option if you are looking to hike the dunes. Access the area off 10th Avenue in Kill Devil Hills or from behind First Flight Middle School.
- Hang gliding: Learn how to hang glide in Jockey’s Ridge with Kitty Hawk Kites. For those just learning this sport, the dunes in this park are the perfect platform to learn on. Kitty Hawk has been teaching visitors how to fly at this site for over 25 years.
- Sandboarding: See what sledding is like on sand by sandboarding in Jockey’s Ridge. You can rent a sandboard from Kitty Hawk Kites, which provides strapless boards and the necessary special wax.
- Flying kites: Take your kite flying up a notch by learning to fly a stunt kite. During your lesson, you’ll learn to keep the kite in motion after launch and how to make it loop and dive.
- Birdwatching: Run Hills’ sand dunes are some of the most unique ecosystems in the area. If you’re visiting in the late summer or early fall, spend some time birdwatching for the migrating songbirds that can be spotted around the dunes.
Cool Off at a Kill Devil Hills Resort
After a day exploring the dunes around Kill Devil Hills, enjoy a cool dip back in the pool at Sea Ranch Resort or in the ocean. Our family-friendly resort is the perfect place to call home base during your Outer Banks getaway. With a range of accommodation options, fantastic onsite amenities, and close proximity to area activities, you’ll be able to make the most out of your North Carolina vacation. Please call us at 252-441-7126 to learn more about our resort or special offers.