The world-renowned coastal beauty of the Outer Banks of North Carolina brings visitors from every corner of the globe. Miles of pristine beaches offer plenty of outdoor space for folks to relax and enjoy all the amenities the area has to offer, including freshly caught seafood, world-class sunsets, and some of the best surfing any amateur or professional surfer can hope to find.
The Outer Banks is a part of a barrier island system stretching Cape Hatteras in the south to Corolla in the north. The islands are geographically situated directly in the path of some of the best waves on the east coast. With almost 200 miles of diverse shoreline, you are almost guaranteed to find conditions that are ideal for you.
Here are Sea Ranch Resort’s tips for your next Outer Banks surfing getaway.
Rentals and Surf Lessons North Carolina
Feel free to bring your board with you, but there are countless OBX surf shops for you to browse during your visit. These shops provide Outer Banks equipment rentals:
- Operating for 40 years, Ocean Atlantic Rentals is a staple among OBX surf shops. They have several locations, so if you’re traveling to multiple different beaches during your stay, you can select the store that is closest to your destination.
- Outer Banks Board Rentals provides Outer Banks equipment rentals at Sea Ranch Resort. You can literally walk right out the door of your private room and rent a board on-site—no driving necessary! They also offer other beach essentials, such as chairs and umbrellas.
Many OBX surf shops have unbelievable sales around Thanksgiving each year, which makes winter the perfect time to pick up a custom board for the next year of Outer Banks surfing.
For the largest variety of surf lessons North Carolina has to offer, book with Kitty Hawk Kites. They offer private and group surf lessons, as well as immersive surf camps.
Best Outer Banks Surfing Spots
Kill Devil Hills is known as the best East Coast surfing because of the quality of our waves, and when the waves are good, almost any beach will have spectacular Outer Banks surfing. However, if you want some suggestions, here are our favorite spots:
- Avalon Pier is close enough to Sea Ranch Resort for you to walk there from your room, and the stroll along the beach is beautiful. There are several tasty seafood restaurants for you to dine at after a few hours in the glorious Atlantic Ocean.
- Just a short drive past Avalon is the Kitty Hawk Pier, where you can catch even more epic waves. The pier offers gorgeous, panoramic views, and we highly recommend getting up early to watch the sunrise.
- Finally, just south of Sea Ranch Resort is Jennette’s Pier—one of the oldest Outer Banks surfing spots. It has been one of the most popular beaches among surfers since the 1940s! You may also want to check out Rodanthe Pier, Avon Pier and Frisco Pier, for they typically offer choice wave action.
It’s important to remember that pier pilings can create dangerous obstacles, so local regulations require surfers to stay at least 100 yards away from the piers. OBX Surf Info has up-to-date reports on conditions and live web cams that show you what is going on at many popular surfing locations. The Sea Ranch Resort has a webcam as well, so you can see the waves before you decide to go out for the day.
Best East Coast Surfing Resort
Kill Devil Hills has a peaceful, laid back atmosphere, which makes it the ideal place for a relaxing vacation. If you’re an experienced surfer looking for a challenge, our countless beaches with big waves are just the thing for you. And if you’re an adventurous newbie, our Outer Banks equipment rentals and surf lessons will help you catch that first wave. The Eastern Surfing Association (ESA) Outer Banks District hosts surfing contests starting in the spring and into November. Call 252-441-7126 to book your oceanfront adventure!